Thursday, July 21, 2005

They live among us...

Yes. Barbershop Quartets do still exist and no, they aren't as annoying as one might remember. I decided to treat myself to a dinner out this evening, mainly because I had to suffer through another visit from upper management and that is usually a horsekick to the psyche and I felt I deserved it...the treat not the horsekick. Now, downtown middle-America doesn't have as much to offer as downtown Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, Chicago or New York, so we take what we can get for entertainment. So it was a pleasant surprise when the Strolling Ole's came into the restaurant and serenaded us free of charge. They did two classics, but I only remember the Carolina in the morning one as I was desperately hungry and the waitress seemed kind of new and had to return five times because she forgot to ask things like side dishes and how would I like that prepared and oh, yes soup or salad. While the meal actually sucked...don't order seafood if you are 1700 miles from an ocean...the four part harmonies left me with a smile on my face and set my toes a-tapping. Cheers to you--you straw-hatted freaks!

No comments: